<June 18, 2009>

Fuselage Update

No I haven't forgotten about the fuselage. Between the visiting family, another small trip, graduation parties and a sick kid, I just haven't much time to work on the RV the past few weeks. That isn't to say that I haven't been working on it at all...

The Bad News...

About two weeks ago I set out to rivet the last few rivet in the fuse; the Baggage Bibs to F-706 Bulkhead. Unfortunately, in doing so I managed to create a little bit of a mess. When I put my light on the shop heads I was disappointed to see that a few of the rivets hadn't set straight with their shop heads forming too one side of the rivet shaft (rather than centered on it). In addition to the poorly set rivets, the bulkhead had deformed slightly in a few places. I wasn't happy, but I guess this is what I get for trying to do this solo. I got out the drill and set out to remove the offending rivets, but this is where things went from bad to worse. Yup, you guessed it, despite my best efforts I enlarged a few of the holes while removing the offending rivets. D'oh, I was so close to being able to flip the canoe and now this, Argh!!! Since the bad holes are in the F-706 bulkhead, which is now integrated into the fuselage, I knew I just needed to walk away from this and come back to it once I had cooled down.

The good news...

After chilling out for a bit and consulting a few trusted friends, one of whom is an A&P, we devised a simple plan to repair the affected holes with some oversized CherryMax rivets (CR3243's). The rivets arrived today so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Now all I have to do is find the time to install them, which sounds easier than it is these days.

I'll post pictures when I am done!