<March 23, 2008>

F-717 Longerons

As the title says, I fabricated the F-717 lower longerons today. There's really not much more I can say about that.



I am working on my instrument rating and I had a lesson this morning. On my way home from the airport I passed one of our local warbirds sitting out on the ramp. Nice huh?

To remove the material from one of the flanges, I measured marked and drilled a 1/4" hole in the corner of the area to be removed. It was then a simple task of connecting the hole to the edge by using the band saw.

After a few passes on the belt sander and deburring wheel, I had nice smooth edges. After the material was removed, I followed the instructions and put the forward end of the longerons in a vise and gave them a bit of a twist so that they would conform to the angle of the firewall brackets. Not much twist was needed and it worked out just fine... sorry no pictures.

I then test fit my longerons but I ran into a small issue. The forward end wouldn't sit flush against the firewall bracket. I did a little poking around and found that there was some interference between the F-717 Lower Longeron and the F-713 Auxilary Longeron.

Ahhh, here we go. This is where the problem is, but this should be easy to remedy by rounding the corner of the F-717, which I did. Actually, now that I think about it, I think Mike Bullock had this problem too.

After taking a bit of the corner, the fit was MUCH better. Problem solved!