<September 14, 2007>

Started Aft Fuselage

As it turns out I do need to trim the other ends of the J Stiffeners. I didn't get started in the shop until after everyone had gone to bed, so rather than fire up the power tools, I focused my efforts on the more frustrating task of improving the fit of the tail pieces.



Here is an example of the poor fit. Poor fit may not be the best way to describe it. The .040 F-779 Tail Skin is very thick and doesn't want to flex very easily to conform to the bulkheads.

Now that I had parts going together, I had a better sense of the angles between the bulkhead and skins. After taking some angle measurements, I took it apart and bent the flanges (tabs) on the F-711 and F-712 bulkheads to more appropriately match the angle of the skin. This helped the fit a little, but only slightly.

It was at this point that I decided to experiment a little. I clamped the F-779 skin between the table and a 2x4, and bent it slightly in an effort to improve the fit. It helped, but not too much.

After all my tweaking, things are starting to improve. It still isn't perfect, but it is better. At least I feel like I am not flexing the skin so much anymore.

I wasn't sure if I should drill the skin to the bulkhead yet, but I did anyway. Afterward, I think figured out that this should be done later, when drilling all the skins to the bulkheads, but I am not going to worry about it. What's done is done.