<May 28, 2007>

F-704 Bulkhead Work

I finally got to open the bag of wing spar parts that has been sitting in the shop for about a year and a half. This is cool stuff! Working on the fuse is so much more enjoyable than the wings, but I admit, the fueslage plans seem to get a whole lot more cluttered. You have to be careful to notice all the little notes and callouts on each page of the plans, or else!



I started by opening up the dusty old bag and laying out all the parts... pretty gold parts!

Right off the bat you start drilling big holes in these things. These holes are for snap bushings which will be used for cables, wires and stuff. Yes, the hole on the right is slightly closer to the centerline than the hole on the left. I had meaured and marked the holes in the appropriate location, but when I was drilling the right hole, the unibit hit a hard spot (knot) in the wood that I was using as a backer and drifted about 1/16" inboard. Oh well, I really don't think it will matter.

After studying the plans for a while to make sure I didn't drill the wrong hole, I enlarged the snap-bushing holes in the F-704Cs and F-704Ds.

Once all the snap-bushing holes were drilled in the F-704A, B, Cs and Ds, I got out the big close-tolerance wing bolts and put everything together for match drilling. The bolts are necessary to ensure exact alignment of the parts, and they go in real snug. Here you can see the F-704G placed in the correct location, with standard AN4 bolts inserted, on the aft bulkhead in preparation for drilling.

I clamped the F-704G vertical bars into place, flipped the assembly over, and match drilled the rivet holes (in the F-704Gs), using the holes in the F-704B aft bulkhead as a guide. I used a sharp bit and some Boelube to make this quick and easy. Reaming the rest of the F-704A, B, C and D holes was easy.

Reaming the rest of the F-704A, B, C and D holes was easy. These parts look cool!

I then turned my attention the F-633 Control Column Mounts. After using the drill press drilling the top holes (in the F-633s) in the perscribed location, I bolted and squared the mounts on the bulkhead, immobilized them by clamping and match-drilled the bottom hole using the bulkhead as a guide.

Looks good, as far as I am cocerned the drilling of the F-633s went perfectly.

I marked up the F-633s according to the plans but it was getting late and I had a BBQ to go to so I called it quits for the day.