<April 29, 2007>

Aileron Bellcranks & Rigging

With the bottom skins now behind me, I set out to install and rig the ailerons. This was actually fun when compared to riveting the bottom skins (ok, I'll stop complaining about the bottom skins now). I already had the left aileron installed, but the first task of the day was to install all the hardware (nuts and washers) for the right aileron hinges. The washer wrenches I bought the other day made this part of the job fairly easy. Once that was done I set up to install the bellcranks and small pushrods.



I had already drilled out the bellcrank bushings a few weeks ago (see March 15), so all I had to do today was to remove the bellcrank brackets from the spars in order to install the bellcranks. When I installed the left bellcrank, I used an adel clamp to secure the pitot line around the bellcrank assembly. I had to use a longer bolt here (AN3-7A I think) to make up for the thickness of the clamp and a washer. I torqued all the bolts except for the one bolt on the left wing going through the clamp as I think I may want to remove the pitot tubing until later in the project. I didn't apply Torque seal (inspection lacquer) to any of the bolts yet as I want to be sure nothing needs to be removed before I do.

I measured and marked the length of the pushrods called for in the plans (IIRC 27-5/8") onto my workbench and then set a nail into my workbench at one of the marks. I then adjusted the pushrods to the appropriate lengths, but I didn't tighten the torque nut as I assume adjustments will need to be made once they are installed.

Rather than building the wooden jig called for in the plans, I tried something a little different. I put a cleco in the tooling hole and safety-wired my drywall square to it. The clamps are here just to help support the weight of the square.

I did the same for the aft tooling hole and then aligned the trailing edge to the square taking the offset (from the cleco) into account. I don't know if this is accurate enough, and I may mess around with this again tomorrow.

Using the provided jig I then adjusted the length of the pushrod so that the bolt passed through the hole in the jig. This picture was taken after I had removed the jig from the assembly, and I just set it in place for the picture.