<April 19, 2007>

Right Bottom Skins - Day 1

I was finally able to get started riveting the right bottom skins. With the benefit of experience from the left wing, this is going much easier and quicker than the first. Don't get me wrong, doing this solo is not quick, but this wing is going quicker than the first.



I completed the riveting for the two interior wing-walk ribs and all the ribs along the forward and spars between all the wing-walk ribs. I almost got myself into trouble here, but I recovered nicely. I had riveted the rear spar rivets between ribs 1, 2 and 3 (from inboard), but I had overlooked the rivets along the spar between ribs 3 and 4. I had riveted about a third of the rib rivets on ribs 2 and 3, working forward from the rear spar, when I realized what I had done. I curled the skin back towards the rear spar and I was sure it was going to kink, but after a few minutes of fighting it I was able to jam my arm down between ribs 3 and 4 to rivet the rear spar rivets. I am lucky I had caught this when I did because if I had riveted one more hole forward on the ribs, I don't think I would have been able to reach.

The set of washer wrenches I ordered from the Yard Store showed up today, and in the knick of time. These things aren't cheap, for what they are, but they do come in handy.

Since I now had the washer wrenches, I used them to install the left aileron. After I fabricated the bushing from the provided stock, they came in really handy for getting all these washers in the tight spaces here. With only two hands, the job still wasn't easy, but I think it was easier than it would have been without the washer wrenches.