<October 6, 2005>

Riveted Trim Tab

I am glad this is over. It wasn't all that difficult, but it wasn't that easy.



I started by riveting the bottom. These rivets were a little hard to get to, but with some coaxing, I was able to get them done using the longeron yoke on the squeezer.

I didn't take a picture, sorry, but I strayed from the instructions a little. The instructions tell you to clamp the forward piece of hinge to the rear elevator spar. Well, I couldn't figure out how to clamp it while maintaining the alignment I set up, so I just took my marker out and marked the location of the inboard hole using the skin and spar as a guide. I then drilled that one hole and clecoed the forward piece of hinge to the elevator. Using the outboard clecoed hole as a pivot point, I was then able to make alignment adjustments on the inboard end, before clamping and drilling. This method worked for me, but I don't know if I would recommend it.

So far so good, no major problems. The alignment is perfect, but I have learned to live with less than perfect.